Friday 4 October 2013

Finally It's Finished!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, earlier this year I decided to pick up the knitting needles for the first time in eons to make a 'textured throw'. I'm pleased to announce it is finally finished!!

It started with a trip to a girlfriend's house to visit her and her new gorgeous baby girl. Sharing a love of all things handmade and crafty Kris showed off some of the beautiful things she had received and made for Eden, including some adorable little cardigans and a wonderful crocheted cot blanket done by her mum. I came home inspired, but not sure where to start. It just so happened that around the same time Spotlight put on their Facebook page a project, the textured throw. Each week they released patterns for 2 squares. It should really have taken me about 3-4 months to do, but I think it's been closer to 6 or 7. I did lose focus and complete a few other projects in that time though. If you're interested in trying to make one yourself it's on the Spotlight Facebook page here - you'll need to click 'see more' to expand the description, all the links to the squares are there. I saved them in my iBooks on my iPad for easy reference.

It was a great way to get back into knitting and learn some new stitches (and start my new crochet obsession). Some of the squares took longer than others (fisherman's rib I'm talking about you!!), and there's one or two that I'm not a big fan of, but I'm really stoked with the overall result. YouTube was the most wonderful resource when I couldn't understand from the written instructions what to do. I just googled the stitch. 

Mum created one of these too, though she finished weeks ago. Once she gets back from NZ I hope to get a photo of the both of them to put up. It's strange how different the same blanket can look just by having different colours. 

I'm now feeling a little lost, my usual feeling when I finish something that's taken so long. It won't last long, I've already started on the next thing.

A
xoxo


I started out with the needles recommended, but after doing the first
square (garter stitch) it was much bigger than 20cm, so pulled it all
undone and started again with 3.5mm needles.
My little guy loving helping to spray the water on the finished product
to block it.

I wasn't too sure on how I wanted the edging done. In the end I went
with a double crochet border in white, finishing off with single crochet
and 2 chains in purple all the way around.

And it's all finished. 


3 comments:

  1. Very nice, and very satisfying! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still struggling to start up my blog. Can't work out how to post pictures and other basic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm VERY satisfied to have got it done.
      It's all just a bit of trial and error at the moment with the blog whilst we try an find our way around. I'm sure there are videos on YouTube on how to do everything. Good luck with it ;-)

      Delete